The Goal

The Goal

Sunday 3 May 2015

Simple Training Plan Example

I've talked previously about the need to train, rather than practice and suggested that people who are serious about their shooting should probably put in place some kind of training plan. To illustrate what I mean by "plan", I've posted the training plan I used for Glasgow 2014 below. Since I wrote this plan in about September 2013 my approach to planning has advanced quite a bit because of reading a book on training for marathons (I ran my first marathon yesterday) however I still think that it's useful for introducing the output from the process of goal setting and planning. It also sets a benchmark for the general level of training you should be doing if you want to compete at a serious level in TR.

In future posts, I'll talk about the process of how I put this together which will hopefully help you to put together a suitable plan for you. I'm still in the process of discovering how to build purposeful and actionable plans to train, so I'll keep you up to date as I learn new things.

Outcome Goal
I will...
  • Win at least one medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow
Performance Goals
To achieve my outcome goal I will...
  • Average 49.7 or more at short range
  • Average 48.5 or more at long range
  • Develop and refine a single technique with my new rifle
  • Improve my cardiovascular fitness significantly
  • Ensure that my posture and core strength is in good form for shooting
  • Keep my kit in top condition
  • Maintain a healthy diet
Process Goals
To reach the level of performance necessary to achieve my performance goals I will...
  • Shoot at least 60 shots per week on a SCATT from Jan - Jul 2014
  • Live fire at least 3 times per month on average from Mar - Jul 2014
  • Practice imagery for at least 7 shots per session at least four times per week from Jan - Jul 2014
  • Keep my training diary carefully, noting down lessons from training & live fire practices
  • Run at least five miles per week from Jan - Jul 2014
  • Do light weights / resistance training at least 3 times per week on average
  • Ensure I put away my kit carefully after each training session
  • Get my rifle thoroughly checked by my armourer at the start of the season, including trigger weight
  • Get my rifle rebarelled at the start of the season and keep the spare barrel in case of emergency
  • Get my eyes tested at the start of the season and have a new lens + spare made
  • Get my shooting jacket checked and re-cut
  • Hydrate properly during training and competitions
OK, I can't claim vast success unfortunately as I had a miserable season in 2014 but if you want to play with the big boys and girls you've got to expect a few setbacks now and then.

Riddle me this though; if you've not got at least a rough plan in mind then how do you expect to improve?

4 comments:

  1. Looks great.

    Not sure setting average score goals is the best way to goal set though. You really don't have too much direct control over the scores. The control you do have over them is a long run product of the other items on your list. Best to just set your goals on the other items, which you do have complete control over, and the scores will follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LocalShooter,

      You're spot on with your comment about average scores being a product of the training you do and not being controllable in and of themselves; however I still set performance goals in this way for three reasons:

      1) They establish a clear psychological link between the outcome goal and the process goals. In this case the score-based performance goals were calculated from the average medal-winning scores at the last three Commonwealth Games.

      2) I suggest that there is a strong correlation between amount and quality of training, and score. By setting yourself an explicit score-based performance goal and with a little self-knowledge you are in a better position to estimate how much training and of what type you need to do.

      3) Tracking your performance against such score-based performance goals lets you know how you're doing, and whether or not you need to adjust your process goals to reach the required level of performance or not. Without such goals, you're shooting in the dark, so to speak!

      Best of luck with your shooting training, whichever way you choose to structure it.

      Gaz

      Delete
  2. Good article - nice to see things from another athletes point of view :) what were the thoughts behind the resistance training ?
    Cheers
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex,

      I was concerned with two things really:

      1) Improving my ability to keep in position and still fire good shots during the 2+15s at long range in tricky conditions when there were lots of waits ; and

      2) Managing fatigue from doing a lot of shooting in a short space of time. Chris W and I legged it up to Glasgow from Bisley on the final Friday of the meeting, so we'd already had at least 8 days on the trot of shooting before we went up there.

      Cheers,

      Gaz

      Delete